Detailed Introduction of Led Lighting Printed Circuit Board
LEDs are an increasingly popular technology for lighting across various industries. LED lighting circuit boards find a range of applications in various industries including Consumer and industrial applications. Currently, the LED lighting industry is expanding rapidly.
Read on to learn more about LED lighting printed circuit boards.
The LED Lighting Industry
A relatively young industry that brought a new source of light and changed the view of light and luminosity. Light-emitting diodes (LED) are based on semiconductor connections that convert electric current directly into light. LED lighting is more environmentally friendly and cost effective. The products of the LED lighting industry are divided into outdoor and indoor LED lights and they are further distinguished by power, shape and usability.
Unlike conventional light bulbs, LED lights do not convert energy into heat and use much less energy for brightness. LED lights are also ecological, because they do not contain toxic materials and can be recycled. They are increasingly used in industry, as LED light does not contain IR light, has little UV light and is suitable for illuminating sensitive materials and objects (e.g. paintings in a museum).
What Is an Led PCB?
LED stands for light-emitting diode. An LED printed circuit board is used to mount the diode(s) and power the LED for the application.
Generally, LED devices use a surface-mounted design (SMD) that includes a single LED component. To generate more light, an LED circuit board connects multiple lights.
Because these lights and their operation generate a large amount of heat, they need to have a way to remove this heat, such as a heat sink or structural material that draws away heat. Hence, the LED PCB material may be aluminum, which excels at transferring heat away from the board.
Due to the many advantages of LED lighting and its multiple applications in modern life, LED PCB manufacturing and products have increased to meet the rising demand.
What are LED PCB Materials?
Depending on the usage of the circuit board, the manufacturing of these circuit boards involves the usage of a number of materials, setups, and designs. The most crucial aspect of the circuit board is the composition of the material used.
Following are some of the most common core materials used:
● FR-4: FR stands for Fire Retardant, and it does what the name suggests. It is mainly made of glass and epoxy, and it’s the most widely used core material. However, it is not as efficient in transferring heat.
● Epoxies: Another one of the most common options used in PCB Circuit boards. However, they are not as durable as compared to the rest of the core materials. Since they aren’t as durable, the cost of the epoxies is lesser than its competitors.
● Metal-Core: PCBs with metalcore often comprise aluminum fused with a lamination of copper along with different metals. For electrical insulation, heat transfer, and thermal conductivity, all of these materials offer excellent results.
Since heat transfer plays the most vital role in LED PCB usage, aluminum, among all the other metals, is the most durable and commonly used LED PCB Material.
Types of LED Printed Circuit Boards
Here are some of the popular and most efficient LED circuit boards that PCB consumers love to use:
1. Hybrid LED PCB
As the name signifies, a hybrid LED circuit board is the type that uses two components. The composition of the board involves using a material that has a base metal (such as aluminum) and another that has a non-thermal material.
2. Single-Layer LED PCB
Unlike the hybrid LED PCB, the single-layer LED PCB only has one layer of substrate that also doubles as the only side of the circuit board. PCB consumers love this type of LED PCB because it is easier to design, which means they will spend less and have their circuit board after a few days.
3. Flexible LED Circuit Boards
Most times, PCB consumers want to design circuit boards that can twist and bend at will. That makes the flexible LED circuit board one of the best you can find out there because it can be moved in different directions.
The flexibility of the board is one feature you cannot ignore. For one, you rest assured of saving some money that you could have spent to create different circuit board designs to align with what you want the board to do.
If you are looking for a LED PCB that can be used in hazardous environments, the flexible LED PCB is the one to go for. The shock resistance to oils of high temperature, the waterproof and the shockproof are some of the features that will preserve the circuit board even when it is exposed to hazardous environments.
4. Multi-Layer LED PCB
Do you want to design a circuit board that has multiple layers? It wouldn’t be a bad idea to manufacture a multi-layer LED circuit board because this is the type of LED PCB that can provide the kind of efficiency you want.
The design of this type of LED circuit board involves the sticking of multiple layers between different types of insulators. A special type of glue is used to make this possible.
On the one hand, the inclusion of multiple layers is to enhance the complicated electrical applications where the circuit board may be used.
On the other hand, the multiple insulators used on the board are there to prevent melting of the LED PCB, especially when the heat becomes excessive on the circuit board.
5. Rigid LED PCB
The other type of LED PCB is the Rigid LED PCB. It is called rigid PCB because it is not in the league of the flexible LED circuit board that can be bent. It is also the best type of LED PCB to use when you want to manufacture circuit boards in different forms, such as multilayer, single and double.
Instead, a rigid LED PCB is designed with solid materials that double as the substrates. These materials are the primary reason why the circuit board cannot be twisted or turned to different directions because they are meant to be static.
Benefits of Aluminum for LED PCBs
Aluminum is one of the most popular LED circuit board materials because it has many properties that are ideal for LED applications. Perhaps the most valuable feature of aluminum LED PCBs is their excellent heat transfer capabilities. Consistently high temperatures can damage electronics and LEDs and diminish their lifespan and performance, including the quality and color of the lights. Because of these risks, electronic devices must have adequate heat transference — a term that refers to how well thermal energy, or heat energy, can move from place to place. Aluminum conducts thermal energy relatively easily, which enables it to transfer heat away from components such as LEDs.
Some of the other benefits of using aluminum for LED light circuit board design are as follows.
● Lower costs: Aluminum is relatively abundant in mines around the world and is relatively easy to refine, making it less expensive than many other kinds of metals. Using aluminum for PCBs is also cheaper than alternative heat transfer methods, such as heat sinks. Using aluminum LED PCBs can reduce the overall costs of producing your PCB.
● Enhanced environmental performance: Aluminum is recyclable and non-toxic, which shrinks the carbon footprint of producing your PCB. Using aluminum for your PCBs also makes it easy and safe to dispose of them at the end of their useful lives.
● Improved durability: Aluminum PCBs are more durable than those made of fiberglass or ceramic, so they are more resistant to damage during the manufacturing process and use in their products. This durability makes them well-suited for items used in harsher environments.
● Reduced weight: Aluminum is also lightweight. This quality makes it easier to ship and handle aluminum circuit boards. Their combination of low weight and reliability makes them ideal for use in vehicles and other similar applications.
At Unitepcb, we offer printed circuit boards for LED lighting, where the LED with a chip is soldered to the circuit board and produces light when electrically connected. For more information on our LED PCB Board manufacturing services or an appointment for your custom PCB project, contact us through the contact form on our website. We will contact you ASAP.